Monastery Chorin – the state’s most precious jewels
Chorin Monastery - through the ages
The history of the former Cistercian monastery begins in 1272. The Askanic margraves Johann I. and Otto III. substantiated their claim to the region with the foundation. After two failures, the location at the Choriner lake turned out to be an ideal place for a monastery. After a relatively short period of use, the Cistercians had to give way in the course of the 1543 Reformation. The monastery site, which was left to decay, served as a source of building material for the people living in the area over time - as well as a pig and cowshed.
The Prussian architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel recognized the value of the old complex when he stumbled across the ruins more by accident. Thanks to his sustainable actions, the Gothic design language and the filigree ornamentation of the large domes, which were first transformed into bricks in Brandenburg, were saved at the Chorin site. The architect and master builder described buildings such as Chorin Monastery as “the state's most precious jewels” and recommended his students the Chorin Monastery as a study object. This wonderful place presents itself today as it did 700 years ago: located on a lake and with an unobstructed view of the wonderful nature of the end moraine landscape.
Permanent exhibitions and apps in Chorin Monastery
The extensive permanent exhibitions of the now museum-operated facility know about all aspects of the history of the monastery. A warehouse cellar, that was only completely uncovered a few years ago, houses the exhibition on monastery construction and monastery management. Visitors get a historical panoramic view of the entire facility. The exhibition on Karl Friedrich Schinkel and Chorin is located in the former brewery, with many digitized sketches for viewing. The former room for underfloor heating houses the exhibition on the so-called "talking" stones - which are a very special testimony to the time of construction. The exhibition on the spiritual life of the monks can be found throughout the east wing and especially in the former chapter house. An animated short film specially produced for the Chorin Monastery introduces its viewers to the everyday spiritual life of the Cistercians. With the help of the "Chorin 3D Monastery" app, the monastery complex can be digitally reconstructed at various points using a smartphone. A web-based tour also shows visitors the hidden speaking stones.
The Chorin Monastery is an ideal excursion destination that can be wonderfully incorporated into the daily planning - whether for individual or group travelers.
reduced: 3,50€ (pupil, students, seriously disabled)
children (-7years) for free
family card: 13€
groups of 12 people or more: 4€
groups of 12 people or more reduced: 3,50€
guided tours of 12 people or more: 7€
guided tours of 12 people or more reduced: 4€
in the summer time April - October
every day 9am - 6pm
in the winter time November - March
every day 10am - 4pm
(24.12. / 31.12. closed)
Klostercafe with wholefood products:
open daily april - october 10am-6pm
november - december 10am-5pm
Contact informationKloster Chorin
Owner: Land Brandenburg
Phone: 033366 70377
Fax: 033366 70378
How to find us
by car: A 11 Berlin - Stettim
by train: RE 3 Berlin - Schwedt/Stralsund